Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Top 3rd Year Moments

In commemeration of finishing what many consider the hardest year of medical school, I'd like to list out the most memorable moments of my third year.
  • Flying across the state with the transplant team to do a donor harvest surgery. In a private jet. And being the only medical student in the surgery
  • Being trusted to use the scalpel and bone saw during my CV surgery rotation
  • Sewing up an incision better (but not faster) than the chief
  • Being commended for being the only student on the team to turn in my required assignments on time
  • Being taken to eat at Fogo de Chao by a fellow student
  • Driving home from a far away clinic during peds during a horrible thunderstorm that actually flooded the highway making it impassable
  • Being in the group that scored the highest average on the surgery board
  • Trading to a different medicine month and team only to find out that I totally screwed myself over
  • Making a TB diagnosis missed by my upper level in the county hospital ER
  • Wearing a mask before talking to the above TB patient
  • Seeing first hand both patients experience seemingly miraculous cures as well as patients suddenly or quite protractedly pass away
  • The MR patient at the county hospital who, as I was examining another patient in the same room, shouted out, "Nurse, Nurse. Thank you for the underpants!!"
  • Fun month was actually fun. Because I didn't study hardly at all
  • Having the Director of Internal Medicine give me 100% on my eval and offering to write me a LoR
  • Driving 64 miles everyday to the furthest away FP clinic. With Cecil
  • Cecil somehow managing to get me out of lots of hours of FP clinic time
  • Getting a super buzz off my first and only energy drink. And being told I was a little hypomanic from it
  • My resident on neuro from Siberia. "Must to practice checkout sheet" and "Most of you (there was only 3 of us) very hard working"
  • The neuro resident who called her patient a "carpet muncher", and then for some reason was threatened by the patient that they'd call the TV news stations to come report on the (ie her) poor quality of care
  • The paraphilia lecture
  • The county psych hospital
  • Catching a baby for the first time
  • Delivering a placenta and accidently squirting cord blood all over the room, and resident, when I moved the hemostat up during said delivery
  • BV clinic

So that was my year in a nutshell. At least the most memorable parts of it. I am excited for fourth year. No call. No weekends. 2 months off. If you are still reading this and happen to also be ending your third year, I meme you!



2 comments:

Tiny Shrink said...

Ah, a photo of the man himself! Remember, he yells because he cares! Congrats on the end of third year!

Ashley said...

What a year!