Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Whiff Test

So today was my last glorious day of OB/Gyn, and more importantly, of my 3rd year. And I had an extra special way of rounding out my 3rd year experience.
Today I got the opportunity of going to the county jail OB clinic to treat all the incarcerated women. They should really change the name of the clinic though. I suggest they rename it, BV clinic, because everyone who came in (with one exception) had really florid BV.
So, for all my non-medical fans, BV stands for bacterial vaginosis. It is essentially an infection caused by overgrowth of certain types of normal vaginal flora, much like a yeast infection except with bacteria and not yeast. What is extra special about BV is that the discharge has these cells in it (see picture) called "Clue Cells". I have yet to figure out why they call them clue cells. Mostly because the first clue you get that someone has BV is not the clue cell, but by the very distinct odor that wafts your way as you get up close and personal with an infected person's nether region. Who needs yet another clue as to what's going on? There's actually a test called the "whiff test" where one adds potassium hydroxide to the already foul smelling substance to see if you can make your sample smell even worse than it already does. While clue cells are rather inappropriately named, the whiff test (much like dumping syndrome) is quite an accurate description of the test.
BV is also associated with a discharge. Usually its white and somewhat thick. Sometimes its a little different. My favorite was asking the patients about it. "It's like boogers coming out my hoochie," was my personal favorite description. At least it painted a vivid image.

1 comment:

Tiny Shrink said...

GAH! That is the most horrible description of BV EVER. *throws up a little*